Letter from the Executive Director & Board President
Welcome to the Twin Pike Family YMCA's website! We encourage you to use this site to explore what our YMCA has to offer. We are proud to announce that last year our staff and volunteers made over 163,000 point-of-contact with our community members at the Y facility, and through the programs and services offered by the Y.
During 2016, the Twin Pike Family YMCA celebrated its twenty second year of service to the communities in and around Pike County, Missouri and Pike County, Illinois. In these twenty-two years, we have experienced great support from the communities we serve, which has led to the creation, of what we feel, is the best Y facility in any rural community in the country. The Y continues to experience unprecedented growth. Each year we are in operation, we feel it will be hard to meet, let alone surpass, the previous year’s accomplishments, but with the continued support of our members, donors, volunteers and staff, we continue to meet milestones we never thought possible. In 2016, wonderful things happened at the Y:
- We experienced a 25% increase in facility usage - more than 70,950 visitors (members, program participants, spectators and community members) walked through the doors of the Y facility (Up from 56,768 in 2015).
- The youth soccer program grew by 177% when the Y took over the Bowling Green Recreational Soccer League.
- The Y’s Annual Support Campaign grew by 75% in the past year.
- Our Y continues to be the largest provider of childcare services in northeast Missouri. We provide educational programs during out-of-school hours at five elementary schools, by partnering with the four area school districts in Pike County, Missouri. These programs are subsidized by the 21st Century Community Learning Centers grant program, and all sites are currently at maximum capacity.
- Last year, YMCA of the USA awarded an Achievement Gap grant to the Louisiana Afterschool Program site, making it one of only 72 sites in the country to offer this program curriculum. This grant funds tutoring and educational enrichment opportunities for at-risk kids, helping to address the academic hurdles faced by kids living in high-poverty areas.
- The Y partnered with Louisiana R-II School District and the LHS Bulldog Boosters Club for a second year to offer the area’s only high school girls swim team. The Y also joined the Heartland Area Swim League and offered the first competitive winter swim league program for area youth. This association has 30 teams.
- The Y received grant funding from YUSA to provide meals and snacks to area children during out-of-school time. The Y expanded the number of summer meal sites available for kids to get a nutritious meal, and increased the number of meals served by 54% and snacks by 72%. In 2016 the Y served 4,133 meals and 48,700 snacks to area kids.
- 100 kids received free swimming lessons through the YUSA Swim Access grant.
- Our Y was awarded one of the twenty-five Reach & Rise Group Mentoring grants given out nationwide. This two-year grant will allow us to begin offering small group mentoring services to area youth
As we move forward and continue developing opportunities to serve our communities, we encourage you to join us. Help make a difference in the world we live in - volunteer at the Y, sponsor a child in the afterschool program, become a mentor, coach a youth basketball team, donate to the pool project. We can’t do it without your help. Your support makes all the difference!